Yeah, I believe iPhone has the advantage here since it won't even
allow you to install apps from outside app store. That has its own
negatives, but it at least protects the developers (and the consumers,
actually).

Until something like that happens, I'd try the traditional desktop
software tricks, e.g. an unlock code for each purchase. I'm exploring
the options for an upcoming app myself, will post back my findings.
Meanwhile, if you come up/find something, please do post.