On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 6:30 PM, BlinkTag <busbroth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are actually >120 apps, one for each agency we support.

> The problem is, we just deployed an update and updated EVERY project.
> This means that the Just In category of Travel apps got flooded with
> our updates.

Wow. That's just ridiculous. Good luck maintaining >120 apps.

>  Though this may have resulted in a modicum of good
> exposure for us, we received a relatively large amount of negative
> feedback that our apps were drowning out the Market.

As a user, I would have to agree. I came across your apps browsing the just
in list and seeing the exact same icon and same app name just with a
different location came off as mass-spamming.

> We cannot release an app similar to the ADC submission which packaged
> all agencies inside a single app for a number of reasons, including
> the fact that the resulting APK would be >200MB when all agency-
> specific resources are included.

Yes you can, you'll just have to get creative. Like Frank said you don't
need assets for over 120 agencies, no one is ever going to use them all. If
you code it right you can have each agency the user wants to use download
and cache the resources it's going to need. That will be 3 or 4 at most on
average, I'd guess.

Also keep in mind that if you keep 120 different apps, the user-base for
each will be relatively small and you'll never move up in the rankings. Have
one app that serves 120 agencies, on the other hand, and you'll potentially
one massive user-base and a better overall ranking.

Therefore, I ask you: is there a way to update our app and not flood
> the "Just In" category? Will upping the Manifest versionCode without
> upping the versionName do the trick?

Don't think so. The versionName is completely meaningless as far as I know.
It's just for the use to read. You can set this v1.your-mom and it won't
make any difference. Only the versionCode matters.