Tim et al,

I read both the petition and your piece, while I do agree with the
other poster that the maintaining of multiple versions is not my own
preference to approach the fragmentation, I think the petition raises
good points and Tim, I read through your whole post and could NOT
agree more to what you wrote and many of your items should be on top
of any such petition. Some of what you describe should be pretty easy
kills (comparatively :) but really impactful to our sales.

One question though: This is an open group as far as I know, right? As
much as companies do like constructive criticism (and I have seen the
Google guys definitely welcoming constructive feedback), as much can
this hurt the cause when done publicly.
I guess I am wondering if we could find a more closed format for this
discussion and such a petition, for instance only for developers who
have active apps in the market, like a Wiki or protected google doc
where folks have to go through a quick signup process. I think this
could dramatically increase not only the awareness of such a petition
but it would also come without any negative connotation when delivered
to the android team. You can always apply more "public pressure" if
you feel you don't get heard but again, my gut feel is that a compiled
weighted list signed by active developers would be quite well received
by the team.

In any case, great initiative, great points raised, I'm not trying to
kill it with this comment :)

Markus