Hi,
I am a computer science student working on a FTIR Do-It-Yourself
Multitouch-Table at university.
>From reading many papers about multitouch I know about a capacitive
system called DiamondTouch
where this effect also happens and is called “shadowing”.
At the “Internation Tabletops and Surfaces 2009″ conference a paper by
Berard and Laurillau
was published that tries to solve that. Take a look at it:
http://iihm.imag.fr/publs/2009/ITS2009_Berard_DTMultiTouch.pdf
On page 2 figure 2 you will find an image showing exactly the same
problem and the text also
describes why this happens.
If you further search Google for DiamondTouch and how this works you
will understand the problem
and that it is indeed caused by the hardware. I didn't read the papers
in detail but I think it
can't be completely solved by software workarounds (I consider that
nobody would write papers about it if the problem was solved ;) ).