This has been working for me, at least on a Droid, G1 and Nexus1:

final Intent intent = new Intent("com.android.camera.action.CROP");
intent.setData(mImgUris[1]);
intent.putExtra("noFaceDetection", false);
//intent.putExtra("outputX", width);
//intent.putExtra("outputY", height);
//intent.putExtra("aspectX", width);
//intent.putExtra("aspectY", height);
//intent.putExtra("scale", true);
//intent.putExtra("output", Uri.parse("file:/" +
mFile.getAbsolutePath()));
startActivityForResult(intent, R.id.view_image_menu_crop);