Thanks for the replies folks. I saw the Real Time Analyzer in the
market, and it runs like a scalded dog. I was trying to get the same
sort of effect by feeding the same buffer full of samples thru a
filter that steps up in freq every pass. I timed a bunch of floating
point adds and multiplies in a loop, and I was getting about a million
per sec (dev phone 2, 528mhz cpu?). (I see the Linpack app in the
market gives the same result) This is many times faster than sw
floating point on a 20mhz AVR, but I bet its way slower than hw fp.
Does the fp multiply in java multiply 2 32 bit floats, or promote them
to doubles like c does? If there is really a libc written in arm
native code down in there somewhere, the dalvik interpreter could jump
to the native code fp mult rather than interpret a java version.
Anyone know how to get a map file or a listing file or something like
that to see whats really getting called? Maybe thats why digital
signal processing apps arent usually written in an interpreted
language? (My very first program hits the performance wall).