I think a Fourier transform would give me equally spaced spectra. I'm
interested in a frequency response, where the output of each third
octave wide bandpass filter (lopass in series with hi pass one third
octave higher) is averaged and plotted in db below full scale. These
filters have equal energy per bandwidth rather than equal energy per
hertz. Do you know a clever way of converting the linear spectra from
an fft into a log plot? Using the filter bank approach, one can have
octave wide filters, half octave, or third octave. Can you recommend
an easy way of getting 10,20 or 30 spectra from an fft? I keep getting
these hints from the experts that java is one level above native arm
code, but none of the experts has given the magic rosetta stone link
to 'how to speed up your math by running them in native mode'. I'm
trying to take my licks as a beginner, and keep a tough outer hide. I
keep comng back for more humiliation and suggestions to Read The Fine
Manual. Wich I do religiously every day.