I remind you that Google is not a hardware manufacturer. Whether a handset
manufacturer releases an Android phone is entirely their choice.  Europeans
can't get an Android phone because NO ONE IS MAKING ONE YET. Even if you
could get your hands on one, it would be a proprietary T-Mobile locked
version. That is not much use to you. Maybe you think HTC will just give
Google some unlocked, unbranded phones. Well, good luck with that! HTC
wouldn't even SELL one if you waved a $500 check in their face. Yes, it's
stupid. But some businesses have direct sales phobia.
You can't cite these companies for "forgetting Europe", as if they are
purposefully shunning the European market. The isolation of U.S. and
European markets is perfectly expected because many companies feel they are
different enough to be treated separately. Whether any of us agree with that
idea is sadly irrelevant. Remember, even if you haven't heard of a European
release yet, doesn't mean there aren't companies working on one. Everyone is
excited about Android. Just be patient! Many complex factors are at play
here.

Maybe someday, components will be cheap enough to be able to build a custom
phone like we build our own custom computer. Maybe one day we will be able
to change mobile providers at will, based on who has the best price (like a
REAL market). It's clear Google has a long-term goal of simple, open, mobile
computing, where users can customize their phones and get a good rate from
whomever they want. However, there are VERY STRONG forces against such an
idea in the mobile industry. In the U.S. at least, phone companies are
control freaks. It's our job as consumers and developers to change that over
time for everyone's benefit. Whining about not being able to get a phone
will not help. I have done my part to support the Android platform as a
T-Mobile customer: I pre-ordered two phones, one for my fiancee and one for
myself. No need to thank me. ;)

David

P.S.

Sheesh -- I mean, in Europe ... at least you guys have decent public
transportation! :-D