I was glad to find this thread as this is pretty much the main thing
keeping me from getting a G1 now (or getting on a list to get one).  I
just tried emailing T-mobile with the following:

---

I strongly suggest you add an entry to the G1 FAQ (http://www.t-
mobileg1.com/g1-learn-faqs-phone.aspx) which answers what your policy
is on applications that are either developed by oneself on a freely
downloaded SDK from Google or downloaded from someone else's web page.

This question (and answer hopefully) could go something like this
(right after the question "What is the Android Market?"):

Q: Is the Android Market the only way I can install applications on my
phone?

No.  It is also possible to develop your own applications using an SDK
freely available at http://code.google.com/android/ as well as
download other applications without restriction.  But it is especially
important when installing unknown applications to only approve
permissions requested by the program during installation which you
consider reasonable.

Well that answer would make me happy anyway as it would everybody who
is on this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss/browse_thread/thread/4b3e7a099931beb9/ca5377c8d0d82bd3?lnk=gst&q=++%09+blindfold#ca5377c8d0d82bd3.

Please send me a reply if the FAQ is updated.

Dara Parsavand

---

I'm not expecting a reply, but what the heck, it doesn't hurt to ask.
I hope as soon as a definitive answer is found (maybe not until the
22nd) that this thread is updated.

Dara