Koen Kooi wrote:
On 22-06-09 18:18, Maxim Podbereznyi wrote:
Dear Koen,

I always ask myself a question why we have the online builder for rootfs but never have a toolchain available online. Is it really necessary for all to pass all that way to compile all the OE distribution to get a toolchain? I understand that it is somehow possible to compile a toolchain apart from a
compilation of the whole OE

It's because everytime we distributed a toolchain for people that "just need a toolchain" it turns out that they don't "just need a toolchain" but more, at which point we'd point to OE. So to get around this, we start by pointing to OE. If you only want to toolchain, do 'bitbake gcc-cross' and 20 minutes later you have an up-to-date toolchain that matches your target environment perfectly.

Still we need to find a way to create and deliver toolchains usable by application developers. I realize there are issues supporting the diverse community of application developers with the appropriate libraries and header files.

But this is an area where they would be tremendous benefits for people developing for machines built from OE.

Philip