I'll open this up bit more;

I could have voteService that returns doSomething function.

Now from my checkbox directive I could
1) Inject voteService
directive('checkboxHandler', function(voteService) ... and call doSomething
directly
or
2) By using isolated expression scope I could do something like
controller('MainController', function($scope, voteService) {
  $scope.doSomething = function() {
    voteService.doSomething();
  }
}

and pass doSmething as expression isolated scope to directive
<checkbox-handler do-something="doSomething()"></checbkox-handler>

and then in directive scope wire it up
scope: {
  doSometing: '&'
}