I can run express by itself by issuing:

npm run server

which does:
"server": "cd server && node index.js"

This opens express on port 3001

When I run the application (client) which is stored in /client I use:

npm run go

which does:
"go": "concurrent \"npm run tsc:w\" \"npm run serve\" "

This opens up the application on http://localhost:8080/#/

I modified the express app.js to use the /client static files so that it
would go in there and open up the index.html, but when I do that it throws
the errors above.

Since all the files in /client run already would I still need to
instantiate a build process?