On Jan 10, 2018, at 7:51 PM, Toerless Eckert <t...@cs.fau.de> wrote:

> Thanks, Adam, i had overlooked the "or understandding the content" first
> time i've been round the block!

Thanks also to Adam for explaining my point before I got to it :-)

A sometimes useful thought experiment is whether you think a normal reader
would fully understand the points you are making if they didn’t read the cited
reference.

> In any case, see reply to Alvaros original DISCUS why i think ACP does not
> need to be normative reference, and that IMHO also applies to the
> "understanding"
> part.

I wasn’t picking on that (or any other) reference in particular; just the fact
there were no normative references. It’s certainly possible that none of them
should be normative, but that would be an unusual case.

Thanks!

Ben.