Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:
    tte> So, the question is what attack vector we would open up if we used
    tte> sequential session-ids. Given how the signature protects the
    tte> message, i will claim there is no new attack vector as long as the
    tte> signature is  checked.  But if GRASP forwarders do not check the
    tte> signature, then the sequential allocation could increase the risk
    tte> that an attacker tries to stop valid flooded messages by
    tte> "pre-flooding" faked messages with the guessed session-ids.

    bc> Right. So I'm not yet convinced we should repurpose the session ID for
    bc> this. If we're going to focus on signing objectives, maybe we need to
    bc> decouple this aspect completely from the session ID?

I am sitting on the fence still here.
I think that during flooding, that the whole point is to replay the object
until all interested parties have seen it :-)

Aside from the anti-replay aspect, it would be nice to be able to avoid
having to have a cache of every flooded message since the dawn of time.
For that reason, it's probably good to have an Epoch ID as a separate object,
so that when it changes, then you can safely throw away your session-id cache.

    >> Now, some part of this "pre-flooding" risk exists today: If i am a bad
    >> ANI node, i receive the valid flood-message, and i have a second
    >> connection to another part of the network, i can pre-flood a broken
    >> message and stop that the real message makes it to that part of the
    >> network.  Aka: This is an argument to actually do check signature when
    >> flooding them.  The argument, why checking signature would be 'free'
    >> is that for most flooded messages the ANI node would not only be
    >> flooding, but also receivign/using. And those nodes would need to
    >> check signature anyhow.

    > Possibly. But from an implementer's viewpoint, the relay path doesn't
    > decode the message - it just decrements the loop count and resends
    > immediately on all the other interfaces. It's a quite separate code
    > path that decodes (parses) the message and would verify the signature.

    > I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's like the fast path/slow path
    > argument for routers. This puts relaying on the "slow" path.

I'd argue for always checking signatures if they are there before flooding.
If it's too expensive, then I think that I'd rather lower the strength of the
signature until it's cheap enough.   If it's a thing that has security
critical information, then if some ASA finds that the signature is too weak,
then it could just do some unicast GRASP with a stronger signature.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )