Sorry I can't help with reading the file but this is how I am setting
environment variables to use with a shell line

 vars_prompt:

    - name: ABC_environment
      prompt: "Enter live or preprod to set environment"
      private: no
      when: ABC_environment is undefined

    - name: ABC_password
      prompt: "Enter the ABC Encryption key"
      private: yes
      when: ABC_password is undefined

  environment:
    ABCENV: "{{ ABC_environment }}"
    ABCPWD: "{{ ABC_password }}"

 - name: install ABC file
      shell: unzip -P ${ABCPWD} -o -d/application /tmp/ABC_files.zip
ABC_${ABCENV}_application.file
      shell: sudo -u xyz install -o xyz -g xyz -m 550
/application/ABC_${ABCENV}_application /application/application.file

Hope this helps..