Thanks @Alexander for your reply. Here is *ec2.ini*

# Ansible EC2 external inventory script settings
#

[ec2]

# to talk to a private eucalyptus instance uncomment these lines
# and edit edit eucalyptus_host to be the host name of your cloud controller
#eucalyptus = True
#eucalyptus_host = clc.cloud.domain.org

# AWS regions to make calls to. Set this to 'all' to make request to all
regions
# in AWS and merge the results together. Alternatively, set this to a comma
# separated list of regions. E.g. 'us-east-1,us-west-1,us-west-2'
regions = all
regions_exclude = us-gov-west-1,cn-north-1

# When generating inventory, Ansible needs to know how to address a server.
# Each EC2 instance has a lot of variables associated with it. Here is the
list:
#
http://docs.pythonboto.org/en/latest/ref/ec2.html#module-boto.ec2.instance
# Below are 2 variables that are used as the address of a server:
#   - destination_variable
#   - vpc_destination_variable

# This is the normal destination variable to use. If you are running Ansible
# from outside EC2, then 'public_dns_name' makes the most sense. If you are
# running Ansible from within EC2, then perhaps you want to use the internal
# address, and should set this to 'private_dns_name'. The key of an EC2 tag
# may optionally be used; however the boto instance variables hold
precedence
# in the event of a collision.
destination_variable = public_dns_name

# For server inside a VPC, using DNS names may not make sense. When an
instance
# has 'subnet_id' set, this variable is used. If the subnet is public,
setting
# this to 'ip_address' will return the public IP address. For instances in a
# private subnet, this should be set to 'private_ip_address', and Ansible
must
# be run from with EC2. The key of an EC2 tag may optionally be used;
however
# the boto instance variables hold precedence in the event of a collision.
vpc_destination_variable = private_ip_address

# To tag instances on EC2 with the resource records that point to them from
# Route53, uncomment and set 'route53' to True.
route53 = False

# To exclude RDS instances from the inventory, uncomment and set to False.
rds = False

# Additionally, you can specify the list of zones to exclude looking up in
# 'route53_excluded_zones' as a comma-separated list.
# route53_excluded_zones = samplezone1.com, samplezone2.com

# By default, only EC2 instances in the 'running' state are returned. Set
# 'all_instances' to True to return all instances regardless of state.
all_instances = False

# By default, only RDS instances in the 'available' state are returned.  Set
# 'all_rds_instances' to True return all RDS instances regardless of state.
all_rds_instances = False

# API calls to EC2 are slow. For this reason, we cache the results of an API
# call. Set this to the path you want cache files to be written to. Two
files
# will be written to this directory:
#   - ansible-ec2.cache
#   - ansible-ec2.index
cache_path = ~/.ansible/tmp

# The number of seconds a cache file is considered valid. After this many
# seconds, a new API call will be made, and the cache file will be updated.
# To disable the cache, set this value to 0
cache_max_age = 0

# Organize groups into a nested/hierarchy instead of a flat namespace.
nested_groups = False

# The EC2 inventory output can become very large. To manage its size,
# configure which groups should be created.
group_by_instance_id = False
group_by_region = True
group_by_availability_zone = False
group_by_ami_id = False
group_by_instance_type = False
group_by_key_pair = False
group_by_vpc_id = False
group_by_security_group = False
group_by_tag_keys = True
group_by_tag_none = False
group_by_route53_names = False
group_by_rds_engine = False
group_by_rds_parameter_group = False

# If you only want to include hosts that match a certain regular expression
# pattern_include = stage-*

# If you want to exclude any hosts that match a certain regular expression
pattern_exclude = datafactory*

# Instance filters can be used to control which instances are retrieved for
# inventory. For the full list of possible filters, please read the EC2 API
# docs:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/APIReference/ApiReference-query-DescribeInstances.html#query-DescribeInstances-filters
# Filters are key/value pairs separated by '=', to list multiple filters use
# a list separated by commas. See examples below.

# Retrieve only instances with (key=value) env=stage tag
#instance_filters = tag:cmx_env=dev

# Retrieve only instances with role=webservers OR role=dbservers tag
# instance_filters = tag:role=webservers,tag:role=dbservers

# Retrieve only t1.micro instances OR instances with tag env=stage
# instance_filters = instance-type=t1.micro,tag:env=stage

# You can use wildcards in filter values also. Below will list instances
which
# tag Name value matches webservers1*
# (ex. webservers15, webservers1a, webservers123 etc)
# instance_filters = tag:Name=webservers1*

elasticache = False
expand_csv_tags = True

In my ec2.py file, I have modified the Regions section a little bit.

# Regions
        self.regions = []
        configRegions = os.getenv('AWS_DEFAULT_REGION', config.get('ec2',
'regions'))
        configRegions_exclude = config.get('ec2', 'regions_exclude')
        if (configRegions == 'all'):
            if self.eucalyptus_host:

self.regions.append(boto.connect_euca(host=self.eucalyptus_host).region.name,
**self.credentials)
            else:
                for regionInfo in ec2.regions():
                    if regionInfo.name not in configRegions_exclude:
                        self.regions.append(regionInfo.name)
        else:
            self.regions = configRegions.split(",")

I export environment variable AWS_DEFAULT_REGION just before the playbook
call. When I run ec2.py, it returns me the host on which I am expecting to
run the playbook.

PS: On a different note, I have added "search_regex=OpenSSH" in wait_for
before the playbook call, but it didn't help either.