SB> +1 here; having ansible-playbook return a 0 exit code when tasks fail
SB> make automating with a CI server more difficult then it has to be.

Do you have an example of this behavior? I feel like Ansible generally
exits non-zero if a task fails. This playbook, for example:

  - hosts: host1
    gather_facts: False
      - command: touch /tmp/exit-code-test

  - hosts: host1:host2
    gather_facts: False
      - command: rm /tmp/exit-code-test

The rm fails on host2, where the file doesn't exist, and ansible-playbook
exits non-zero.

  ansible host1 -a 'rm /tmp/exit-code-test'

(when the file doesn't exist) exits non-zero.

                                      -Josh (

(apologies for the automatic corporate disclaimer that follows)

This email is intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL. Any unauthorized use,
distribution, copying, or disclosure by any person other than the addressee(s)
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any
attachments from your system.

To post to this group, send email to
For more options, visit