Hi Kai

You used the variable in a playbook, maybe that works. But I want to make
sure that the role is not being executed when someone forgets to set the
variable.
So the trick here is: "{{ APPLICATIONNAME }}" is not set.
Normaly this is a variable in vars/app1.yml
Here is the full code:

/vars/app1.yml
---
#APPLICATIONNAME: "app1"
#normally this var is set, but we want to provoke an error

playbook.yml
---
 - name: play1
   hosts: app1
   vars_files:
   - "vars/app1.yml"

  tasks:
  - include_role:
      name: role1
    vars:
      applicationname: "{{ APPLICATIONNAME }}"

/roles/defaults/main.yml
---
required_vars:
 - applicationname

applicationname: ""

/role/tasks/main.yml
---
- debug:
    var: vars

- debug:
    var: applicationname

- name: check required vars when applicationname is not defined
  debug: msg="Variable '{{ item }}' is not defined"
  when: vars[item] is not defined
  with_items: "{{ required_vars }}"

Execution:

TASK [role1 : debug] ***********************************************
ok: [server1] => {
    "vars": {

        "applicationname": "{{ APPLICATIONNAME }}"
    }
}

TASK [role1 : debug]
ok: [SERVER1] => {
    "applicationname": "VARIABLE IS NOT DEFINED!"
}

TASK [role1 : check required vars when applicationname is not defined]
skipping: [server1] => (item=applicationname)  => {"changed": false,
"item": "applicationname", "skip_reason": "Conditional result was False"}

Or is my approach completely wrong?