I don't fully agree with you.
Because I set "applicationname" to "{{ APPLICATIONNAME }}" when I call the
role in the playbook:

- include_role:
    name: role1
  vars:
    applicationname: "{{ APPLICATIONNAME }}"

Problem is, that "{{ APPLICATIONNAME }}" at this point is undefined.

And again, I think the problem with
- name: check required vars when applicationname is not defined
  debug: msg="Variable '{{ item }}' is not defined"
  when: vars[item] is not defined
  with_items: "{{ required_vars }}"

is, that vars[item] is not undefined.
Why? Because "applicationname" seems to have a value:

ok: [server1] => {
    "vars": {

        "applicationname": "{{ APPLICATIONNAME }}"
    }
}

Maybe it is misinterpreted as a string "{{ APPLICATIONNAME }}"
Therefore, when: vars[item] is not defined does not work as expected

Hope you can follow me.