Hello guys, I'm in the last year of my studies and the question in the
title is to help me write my bachelor thesis.

My bachelor thesis is part a technical research(make a proof of concept.)
and literature study.

The research that I did was based around 1 question: "How do I use Ansible
in a production environment to configure a large number of on-premise
devices via a cloud environment?"

So the following was what I did for the proof of concept:

I installed ansible in a cloud environment (google cloud) and created 3
VM's in VMware workstation.

To be able to configure those 3 VM's, I set up an OpenVPN connection.The
ansible server in the cloud also became an OpenVPN server. I also created a
new local VM that acted as an OpenVPN client that then routed all the
traffic to the other local VM's using iptables rules.

I now realize that the setup of the VPN needed to be the other way around
(the ansible server should have been the VPN client).

I was wondering what other setups are possible in this scenario and what
other hardware or software would be necessary (for example: is pfsense an
option? or a proxy?).

Say for example I have ansible installed in the cloud on a VM and I want to
configure devices at the office, how would you do it?

Would really appreciate your feedback!