Canadian Press
April 27, 2002

Closer military ties to U.S. threaten sovereignty,
even lives: report
JOHN WARD
OTTAWA (CP) - Closer military ties to the United
States could threaten Canada's sovereignty and even
the lives of its soldiers, says an academic report
released Friday.
The document was written by Michael Byers, a Canadian
who teaches law at Duke University in North Carolina.
It was done for the Liu Centre for the Study of Global
Issues, a Vancouver think-tank led by Lloyd Axworthy,
the former foreign affairs minister. It looks at
America's new Northern Command, a military
headquarters to be set up next fall to co-ordinate
defence of North America.
Byers says that if Canada is drawn into Northern
Command and tighter links with the American military
command, it will be risking a lot.
He questions whether Canada might lose its freedom of
action on the international scene. He suggests Canada
might become a puppet of American foreign policy and
be forced into massive defence spending under American
pressure.
Defence Minister Art Eggleton dismissed the concerns,
saying there's no intention of integrating the
military of the two countries.
"A lot of these comments are 'if we're doing this,' or
'if we're doing that,' there's a concern about this,"
he said. "There's a lot of ifs."
He said the Northern Command is purely an internal
command structure for the American military.
Canadian officials have held informal talks on the new
command but only to look for practical ways of
co-operation, he added.
Axworthy, though, said the whole issue of closer
military links needs to be thoroughly debated.
"This is an issue . . . that carries with it the same
weight and significance, in fact, as the free trade
debate did over 10 years ago," he said.
"It needs to be carefully looked at, prudently
considered and publicly debated."
Byers, who said he considers himself pro-American,
said there are many potential dangers in moving into a
closer military relationship.
"One has to examine, in careful detail, through
rigorous analysis, all of the various implications for
Canadian policy, both domestic and foreign, of any
move of this kind," he said. "This report is designed
to pose some of the questions that Canadians need to
ask."
Among his questions:
-Could Canadian Arctic jurisdiction be threatened?
-Might a unified command prevent Canadian troops from
taking part in a peacekeeping mission Washington
dislikes?
-Might American commanders use Canadian troops as
cannon fodder to protect their own soldiers?
In the Commons, the Bloc Quebecois fretted about
closer ties with the United States.
Michel Guimond said this might hamper Canadian efforts
to promote nuclear disarmament.
"We have a lot of differences with the Americans," he
said.
Stephane Bergeron wondered if Canada might be pushed
into far higher defence spending.
Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham waved off these
concerns.
"Right now, there is no threat to sovereignty, to
Canadians or Canada because we have no agreement with
the United States on this topic," he said.
"The Americans have established certain provisions for
their own security. We will examine them and we will
take the measures necessary to protect ourselves."
Eggleton said the informal talks with the United
States don't contemplate any sort of military
integration.
"Let's not try to confuse day-to-day operational
improvements with something that relates to the
integration of the two militaries," he said. "We're
not talking about that."
While Byers seems leery about a closer defence
relationship, another study released this week by the
Institute for Research on Public Policy, praises the
way the Canadian navy has been able to mesh with
American sea operations.
"The world-class capabilities of the Canadian Navy,
combined with careful and continual political
oversight can make interoperability with the United
States navy a mainstay of Canada's national security
policy, says the report by Joel Sokolsky, of the Royal
Military College.

http://health.yahoo.com