Tensions rise in Sahara impasse

Upstream Online (www.upstreamonline.com)

By BARRY MORGAN, from Accra

02.05.02

US diplomats had raised their efforts to persuade the UN Security
Council
(right) to ratify a revised autonomy plan for Western Sahara

Sahara impasse
Sabre-rattling as crucial UN vote on rebel state goes to the wire

THE UN Security Council this week failed to approve a plan to settle the

long-running territorial dispute between Morocco and militia fighting
for the
independence of Western Sahara, a former Spanish colony. Council members

instead extended the mandate of the UN mission there until 31 July,
despite
UN-sponsored talks having failed over 10 years to broker an accord.

Saharan indigenes have insisted Moroccan immigrants should not be
eligible to
vote in a proposed referendum, but frustration is building at what
Washington
and Rabat claim is intransigence by representatives of the breakaway
Sahrawi
Republic.

US diplomats this week raised their efforts to persuade the UN Security
Council
to rubberstamp a proposal by Special Envoy James Baker to impose a
revised
autonomy plan for the Moroccan-occupied territory, this time without
requiring
both sides to agree.

US explorer Kerr-McGee and French supermajor TotalFinaElf are poised to
invest
heavily in deep-water prospects off the contested territory but had to
freeze
plans while Morocco's right to license marine acreage is adjudicated.

Baker himself wrote last week's draft resolution against all known UN
precedent,
claimed officials representing the rebel Polisario militia that is
fighting
for
an independent Sahrawi Republic.

New York-based UN representatives of the Sahrawi Republic, recognised by
the
Organisation of African Unity, have meanwhile promised a resumption of
the
armed
struggle if the vote eventually goes Morocco's way.

Council members were split with the US and France trying to persuade
Britain,
Guinea, Cameroon and Norway to force through autonomy, while Mexico,
Colombia,
Mauritius, Ireland and others support a free referendum. The Sahrawis
have
consistently rejected partition as an option. "To force such a plan
through
without the concurrence of both parties runs the risk of being seen as
supporting those) motivated by military and oil concerns," said a
statement
issued by the Western Sahara Alliance of Australia, an activist group
that
favours unconditional decolonisation as the UN demands.

Disillusionment within Polisario over the diplomatic gridlock is
building.
Several hawks are now advocating a withdrawal from the UN peace process,

high-level sources revealed.

Sahrawi president Abdel Aziz called Polisario representatives early this
week
promise a resumption of the armed struggle if the Security Council
approves
the
Baker plan.

"We will defend our rights with the last drop of our blood and we ask
oil
companies looking for investment opportunities to be patient," a senior
aide
said.

UN Legal Counsel Hans Corell reiterated in February that UN resolutions
precluded Morocco from invading or selling the territory's natural
resources.

(c) 2002, Upstream.
To read more Upstream stories you can get a FREE two-week trial of LIVE
news,
Upstream Hardcopy and Upstream archive news at www.upstreamonline.com.