Calm urged amid chaos of LA airport shooting
===============================
Oliver Burkeman in New York
Friday July 5, 2002
The Guardian

Intense security was stepped up still further across the United States
yesterday as Americans nervously celebrating Independence Day tried to
absorb what initially seemed to be exactly the kind of news they had been
fearing.

Three people were killed at Los Angeles airport when a gunman opened fire
near the El Al counter, killing a man and a woman and wounding seven others
before being shot dead by a security guard for the Israeli airline.

In New York, where about 4,000 police officers were joined by fighter jet
patrols with hours to go before a massive firework display along Manhattan's
eastern shore, the shooting in Los Angeles prompted increased police
protection for "Israeli locations" including the El Al area at JFK
international airport in Queens.

"We are going to err on the side of caution here," New York's police
commissioner, Ray Kelly, told CNN. "We're going to the El Al facilities...
providing extra coverage at the airport and other high-profile locations we
have covered in the past, we're now putting additional police coverage in
those locations."

Flight restrictions were already in place at altitudes lower than 10,000
feet over Manhattan - an echo of the days immediately after September 11 -
with similar precautions in Washington DC, where people celebrating the
226th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence at the National Mall
were subject to rigorous screening and bag searching.

But with news that the FBI did not have reason to believe the incident was
"terrorist-related" came a concerted push by law enforcement agencies and
civic leaders for Americans to enjoy themselves as planned.

"We want everyone to go on and enjoy the holiday - we'd like people to be
vigilant, though, to be a little bit on guard, on alert," Mr Kelly said. "If
anybody sees anything out of the ordinary we would appreciate a call [but]
go out and enjoy - law enforcement is very much on the job."

Speaking at a press conference called after the shooting, James Hahn, the
mayor of Los Angeles, advised a similar watchful calm. "I don't know that
there's any reason for the travelling public to shy away this moment from
air travel," he told reporters.

And as news spread of the crash of a small private plane into a crowd
enjoying Fourth of July celebrations in a Los Angeles suburb, killing at
least one person, a spokeswoman for the federal aviation administration,
Laura Brown, urged calm. The crash "sounds completely like an accident", she
said.

A certain jitteriness had characterised preparations for events across the
country yesterday - from the famous Boston Pops concert alongside the city's
Charles river, to the notorious hot-dog eating contest on Coney Island.

The day was the first major test for the homeland security coordination
centre, which was reported to be monitoring about 2,100 events nationwide.

The tension on what was a swelteringly hot day - with a high of 38C forecast
in Washington - had been heightened early on when the nation woke to FBI
warnings that people "with terrorist ties" had downloaded pictures of
stadiums in Indiana and Missouri from the internet. But they had no
information about planned attacks, they said, and both venues were shut for
the holiday.

There was no immediate response from the White House to the Los Angeles
incident. Speaking at a war veterans' memorial in Ripley, Virginia, George
Bush made gratitude the message of the first presidential Independence Day
speech since September 11.

"The anniversary of America's independence is a day for gratitude and a day
for celebration," he said. "On the Fourth of July we count our blessings.
And there are so many to count: we're thankful for the families we love,
we're thankful for the opportunities in America, we're thankful for our
freedom, the freedom declared by our founding fathers, defended by many
generations, and granted to each one of us by Almighty God."

California's governor, Gray Davis, said: "I can assure the people of
California that there are more law enforcement officials on duty in
California tonight than has ever been the case, and that was before the
incident at LA airport... I would encourage them to continue with the
celebrations."

Mr Davis said the shooting did not indicate a failure of the state's
security plans. "The law enforcement profession are going to withhold
judgment about what, if any, changes should be made to airport security
until they determine exactly what was going on," he said.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2002