Maurizio,

the mentioned thread in the OpenACS forum is about speed,
not functionality.  The issue came up for large sites when
postgres changed the rules for their optimizer. I would think
that most OpenACS sites work fine with current pg versions.
The 9.* support is in OpenACS  CVS since July last year
(rather large change, bring stored procedures to the level
of current postgres, substantial changes in 55 files, see [1]).
Since recursive queries are as well rather new in pg,
and the changes for OpenACS to use recursive
queries requires update-scripts that might run a few hours,
we sent the recursive query optimizations to the main
stakeholders
at the begin of this year and received little feedback so far
(maybe they prefer to be conservative for their large sites,
maybe they don't have the mentioned performance issue).
The recursive query optimizations are as well publically
available [2]. Yes, the code will go from our point of view
into future OpenACS, but we are not the only OpenACS
users, and we do not want to break other installations...

This discussion is here somewhat off-topic, it has nothing
to do with aolserver (or Windows support).
-gustaf neumann

[1]
http://cvs.openacs.org/changelog/OpenACS/openacs-4/packages/acs-kernel
[2]