Guys,

During my lunch break, I wrote a small program to
compare the execution of Tcl_StringMatch() (what
ns_register_filter uses to match URLs) and
Tcl_RegExpExec() (what I propose
ns_register_filter should have the option of
using).

It looks like the regular expression stuff is
just as fast (or slow depending on how you look
at it) as the Tcl_StringMatch() we currently
use.

Of course, I haven't tested it very thouroughly.
If you are interested in the code I used, it is
here:

        http://www.ayan.net/software/TclReCmp/

I'd like to take a stab at implementing the RE
matching for the ns_register_* procedures if that
is okay.

-ayan