Strangely enough, I have never been able to connect to freenode while
at the AOL offices.  The DNS lookup succeeds, but the connections are
always refused.  In order to connect, I have to proxy my IRC connection
through some other co-lo servers I have back at the University I
attended.

So I'm not sure those of us actually at AOL would be able to
participate unless someone figures out what's going on there. And I'm
not sure the kind folks at the University who have been nice enough to
let me keep my access would like me building and hosting an AOL IRC
proxy ;)

~Adam

At AOL:

~% telnet irc.freenode.net 6667
Trying 213.28.116.205...
telnet: connect to address 213.28.116.205: Connection refused
Trying 213.92.8.4...
telnet: connect to address 213.92.8.4: Connection refused
Trying 69.28.212.219...
telnet: connect to address 69.28.212.219: Connection refused
Trying 82.96.64.2...
telnet: connect to address 82.96.64.2: Connection refused
Trying 128.193.0.29...
telnet: connect to address 128.193.0.29: Connection refused
Trying 128.193.0.47...
telnet: connect to address 128.193.0.47: Connection refused
Trying 208.185.243.68...
telnet: connect to address 208.185.243.68: Connection refused
Trying 212.204.214.114...
telnet: connect to address 212.204.214.114: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

From outside of AOL:
 % telnet irc.freenode.net 6667
Trying 208.185.243.68...
Connected to irc.freenode.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname...
NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking ident
NOTICE AUTH :*** No identd (auth) response
NOTICE AUTH :*** Found your hostname

Adam Leff
AOL Web Operations