On 2005.01.13, Jeffrey Katcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry for the seemingly stupid question:
>
> I used to use AOLServer 2 & 3 regularly and just installed v4 for a
> new project.  I can't get it to start on port 80 unless I explicitly
> specify the address:port with -b.  Starting as root with -u nobody, it
> fails to bind with a permission error.  Additionally using -b makes it
> work, but it's not a clean solution.  Any suggestions as to what I'm
> doing wrong?

Jeff,

This is correct: in order to use ports < 1024, you must pre-bind the
socket using the -b command line option.  This is the only clean
solution that's safe.

Because AOLserver drops root privileges *before* executing the contents
of your config script (which contains the relevant nssock config
indicating the IP and port to bind/listen on), and on most Unix
platforms' default config only the privileged user (uid 0) can bind to
ports < 1024, we must tell AOLserver to "pre-bind" to the IP and port
pairs that we'll be using before it drops privs.

In short: if AOLserver is going to bind/listen on ports < 1024, you must
start nsd as root AND specify the IP/port using the -b command line
option.  This is absolutely correct.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara                       mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]