Folks,

OK -- so it sounds like we have the following goals:

1. sources need to be configurable and buildable in the source directory
2. final install location needs to be part of the config for all the - rpath junk 3. install/copy step needs to bypass the final install location and copy to some other root 4. something in the config needs to ensure a proper Tcl build can be located and used at runtime 5. we need to do the right thing for redhat, debian, and macos/x installer things at least
6. something reasonable needs to work for windows as well
7. would also be good if something in the install helped build up the server nsd.tcl config as well 8. finally, something should be done to rationalize the build of modules included with aolserver and other modules -- right now included modules benefit from source-directory build support, other modules less so.

There was a lot of effort recently to use Tcl in the build to get around windows/unix incompatibilities -- sounds like more work is needed on the Unix specific pieces to get this right and draw in the common modules.

And, sounds like folks are leaning toward the -rpath stuff being mostly-good instead of mostly-bad?

-Jim