At Friday 02:16 PM 10/7/2005, John Caruso wrote:
1) Is it true that AOLserver 4.0.10 requires -b in this circumstance, or are we just missing something?

Ok, found this in the ChangeLog:

     * Removed the child-process privleged port Ns_SockListen
     code in nsd/binder.c.  Binding privleged ports (e.g., port
     80) now requires the -b or -B command line methods introduced
     in 3.4, e.g., "nsd -ft nsd.tcl -b myhost:80".  The binder
     code, while clever, was a potential security risk.

So two new questions:

1) What specifically is the security risk here?  And,

2) Could this code be restored, but be conditional on the user specifying some other command-line option which explicitly says, yes, yes, I know, it's a risk, but please just do the nice simple thing you used to do that saved me so much trouble and made my life easier?

:-)

- John

-- AOLserver - http://www.aolserver.com/

To Remove yourself from this list, simply send an email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with the body of "SIGNOFF AOLSERVER" in the email message. You can leave the Subject: field of your email blank.