ACS (Open, etc.) has a version of httpget called util_httpget, which allows a little more customization, i.e. allowing you to set headers. So the equivalent to putting the username and password into the URL is adding an "Authorization" header of the form "Basic $token" where token is "username:password" base64 encoded. So here is what I do:

set url "http://geocoder.us/member/service/csv/geocode?address=$address,+$city+$state+$zip";
package require base64
set headers [ns_set create]
ns_set put $headers "Authorization" "Basic [base64::encode username:password]"
set result [util_httpget $url $headers]

I don't have a recent version of util_httpget so there might be some improvements in recent versions. If you want though, I can send you a copy of the version I have.

-T.

Thorpe Mayes wrote:
I am trying to go here:

"ns_httpget "http://username:[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/member/service/csv/geocode?address=
$newaddress,+$newcity+$state""

and am getting this error message:

Error: expected integer but got "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
expected integer but got "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
    while executing
"ns_sockopen -nonblock $host $port"
    (procedure "ns_httpopen" line 11)
    invoked from within
"ns_httpopen GET $url "" $timeout"
    (procedure "ns_httpget" line 5)
    invoked from within
"ns_httpget "http://username:[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/member/service/csv/geocode?address=
$newaddress,+$newcity+$state""

Is there a work-around?

Thank you.

Thorpe