On Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:28, Rusty Brooks wrote:
> It's funny...  I know we're all experienced developers and that
> therefore all of our viewpoints have validity, but to me debugger > test
> cases.  I am really doubting you are going to have enough test cases to
> cover all conceivable reasonable inputs.
>
> This is not meant to be a barb, but, for example, do you have a
> test-case that examines what happens if someone ns_returnredirects and
> then doesn't do an ns_adp_abort before the end of the page?  AOLServer
> contains a programming language and an extensive API, MANY of the
> commands have unexpected interactions that you don't even know about yet.

This is a purely theortical situation. It assumes that you know what you are
going to program ahead of time. This is almost like thinking that even a
thorough book outline would replace the book, and even just spell checking
the outline is good enough.

Tests only cover what you expect to go wrong. And somehow they also assume
that you can write better tests than actual code.

Anyway, the code that is causing the segfault is very likely to be the type of
thing that you could never write a test for. And writing a test right now,
just to make sure it doesn't happen again seems equally impossible.

Also, the bug I (re)fixed this weekend would never be testable....but........
One thing I did was to put in some Ns_Log statements so that I now know what
internal redirects are being registered, or if the code tried and failed, why
did it fail.