What was the original purpose of "trace" filters?  At the C API level there
is a distinction between between a trace filter and a cleanup callback, but
it doesn't look like you can register a cleanup proc from TCL.  Maybe this
was mistakenly omitted?

The cleanup procs run unconditionally.  It seems like that is the most
appropriate place to handle "cleanup of resources."  Alternatively we could
change the trace filters to run regardless of the Ns_ConnRunRequest() return
status, but then that would make them basically the same as the cleanups.

I looked a little deeper into the source.  The confusion seems to arise in
NsAdpFlush() which is run at the end of all ADP processing.  The code there
is smart enough to recognize when an abort exception has been signalled; it
sets the TCL result to "adp flush disabled: adp aborted", but it still
returns TCL_ERROR.  That is essentially where the TCL exception gets turned
into a full blown connection processing error.  We could change NsAdpFlush()
to return success when it recognizes the abort exception, or just not run
NsAdpFlush() for abort exceptions.

There would still be cases where trace filters would not run though.  For
instance if you called ns_returnxxx without calling ns_adp_abort.  I'm not
sure if that is a bad thing.

It would be nice to hear from anyone who knows about the original motivation
for the trace and cleanup filters.

-Andrew