I think this has been a very interesting conversation.  I would like
to simply stress that no matter what technology we use, it does not
inherently solve any of the problem.  So, Sourceforge or Trac itself
does not solve the problem.  If we manage to identify the problem,
then we can find the technological means to solve the problem.

I think it's common in open source projects of the lack of anyone
doing anything.  In some cases, I think documentation is a huge
hurdle, especially on getting new folks to help out.  I'm in the
process of tracking down crashing bugs on old aolserver versions and
after weeks of compiling and code-testing, I still find the code
pretty daunting as it is.

I also think, and I could be dreadfully wrong here, that outside of
OpenACS and a few other cases, I don't think there's a huge number of
sites using AOLserver.  Maybe it's a chicken and egg problem with
support vs userbase.  Again, this is just my opinion and hope this
isn't taken the wrong way.

I guess also what would help is if interested developers understand
how the development cycle and process of contribution works, they can
understand better how they can help contribute back to aolserver.

Just my two cents.