Op Tue, 25 Oct 2011, schreef Jim Davidson:

Hi,

Cool!  Nice updates :)

On the version # question a few days back, I agree this is 4.x update.  For a
5.x release, in addition to what you listed below, I'd add:

-- integrate SSL support directly (comm driver, api's)
-- integrate the comm drivers
-- figure out some better build environment for windows
-- ensure 64bit works everywhere
-- finally re-factor the Tcl management
-- make aolserver really just a loaded Tcl module

The last two would be disruptive but interesting or maybe just dumb on closer inspection.
 Basically, aolserver could use the ns_itcl stuff along with Tcl package to better
leverage existing extensions. As a module overall, the basic startup and event loop stuff
could be exposed as commands instead of special case startup code in a custom binary.  I
think that could get aolserver/tcl closer to command-line PHP type flexibility which
enables, e.g., "crush" in drupal.  May be too much effort but something to
explore.

Maybe I could point again at the ipv6 patch I wrote in 2008. Back there was even not even a response on this list, but maybe today, now the world has run out of ipv4 addresses, the interrest in serving ipv6 is a bit higher.

Patch still available for download here:

http://www.freepascal.org/~daniel/aolserver-ipv6support.diff

Best regards,

Daniël Mantione