>Number:         2117
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       The CIDR syntax support for allow and deny finds the '/' in
>comments.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
We have a .htaccess file on some of our servers that looks like,
reduced to the relevant parts:

order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 153.39               # UUNET office network
allow from 208.196.158.5        # eeg.va.pubnix.com
allow from 208.211.134          # Pubnix web development desktop/dev network

This was fine with apache 1.2.6.  1.3b6 complains:
[Wed Apr 22 11:56:04 1998] [alert]
/homes/www068/w3featherlegged/html/.htaccess: syntax error in network portion
of network/netmask
It is seeing the slash in the comment and taking it to be a netmask separator.

It is not documented specifically that comments are accepted in .htaccess files,
but aside from this new bug it has always worked.

>How-To-Repeat:
Put a comment containing a slash in a .htaccess file "allow" line,
or presumably a "deny" line.
>Fix:
1.  Document that comments are accepted in .htaccess files.
2.  Make the IP address or network parser pickier about the syntax it accepts,
    so it doesn't try to accept part of a comment as part of the address.
    Or just strip out comments before handing it the line to parse.
%0
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
[you need to include <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in the Cc line ]