The following reply was made to PR general/2117; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "David J. MacKenzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Apache bugs database <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: general/2117: The CIDR syntax support for allow and deny finds the
'/' in comments.
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:02:47 -0600 (MDT)

 On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, David J. MacKenzie wrote:

 > On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:41:46 -0600 (MDT), Marc Slemko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > said:
 >
 > > But the problem is that they aren't trailing comments; it just happens
 > > that you have specified that access should be allowed from a certain set
 > > of hostnames that you think should be a comment, but that Apache knows are
 > > just a list of space delimited hostnames.  We could special-case the '#'
 > > character or do more stringent checks for names that are valid in
 > > hostnames, but that can get to be a pain.
 >
 > Ah, I see!  Caught by surprise!  Don't special-case '#', but it's
 > easy to write a function to tell whether a word could potentially
 > be a valid hostname or IP address:
 >
 > int ap_hostname_syntax(char *s)
 > {
 >     for (; *s; s++) {
 >      /* Allow : for IPv6.  */
 >      if (!isalnum(*s) && strchr("_-.:", *s) == NULL)
 >          return 0;
 >     }
 >     return 1;
 > }
 >
 > I suggest using that where a valid hostname or IP address is required.

 But the complication here is that these can be more than DNS hostnames.
 They can be anything that a systems resolver can grok, and some such
 routines on some systems allow for less stringent naming rules that can
 allow other characters, possibly including '#'; I have no idea offhand.

 Isn't life fun.