The following reply was made to PR mod_log-any/2366; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Glenn Fleishman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mod_log-any/2366: DNS lookup in logs reports host, first number in
dotted quads
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 13:15:34 -0700 (PDT)

 On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Glenn Fleishman wrote:

 > On the bind subject: I didn't do it explicitly, but apache is performing
 > lookups in some cases, just not all. How do I link explicitly? In all the
 > software I've compiled over the last four years, this hasn't been a problem
 > with this OS (or I've been lucky).

 It depends on how you've got it installed.  If you've got the "resolv+"
 package installed then you probably linked against it, since that modifies
 the shared libcs.  But otherwise I think you need to add -lresolv or
 something like that, it's been a long time since I've had to deal with
 sunos4.

 > On the NIS/YP front: we use it, but barely. Just enough to avoid having to
 > replace it, but not for any real purpose. It's set up to use DNS primarily.

 Yeah that's enough to cause troubles.

 > /etc/hosts: not sure why this affects externally looked-up FQDNs - can you
 > explain? Does an FQDN in the /etc/hosts file force DNS involvement in
 > resolver lookups? That seems odd.

 It won't affect external stuff.  It'll only affect stuff that has entries
 in /etc/hosts.

 Dean