On Jul 30, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> On 7/30/12 11:26 AM, Nick Burch wrote:
>> On 27/07/12 13:04, Tim Williams wrote:
>>> What are the speaker subsidies for ApacheCon EU?  I assume the show
>>> ticket is covered.  Any hotel or travel?
>>

>> We may be able to extend that a bit further, depending on how the final
>> costs end up coming in at for a few things we're still waiting on. If we do
>> have some budget spare, what would people rather:
>> * Free tickets for all speakers?
>
> +1. Honestly, I think not providing free conference tickets for all speakers
> is a little weak. This should not include any training sessions of course.

The intention is to make the conference more accessible to those who don't get
any support at all. Even OSCON doesn't give speakers a free ride (each talk
attracts some travel support and one hotel night). PyCon and DjangoCon give no
speaker support at all, other than to guarantee them the Early Bird rate.

I realize that it may be a tradition in ApacheCon, but look at attendance
numbers and ask yourself if you want to see them going down still further. We
could marginalize the conference by keeping pricing too high.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden st...@holdenweb.com,  Holden Web, LLC http://holdenweb.com/