Tony Stevenson wrote:
On 12 Nov 2013, at 23:38, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
letting domains expire as a policy is very bad,
First, this is not policy and is not normal.  Please don’t assume that it is.

OK. I mean, whatever the cause, letting a domain expire even when it can still be rescued and not be turned into a spam site is not good (yes, I've seen the other message where it seems that the domain will be renewed this week; this is good news).

since we have plenty of links to apachecon.eu from,
Why do we?

Simply because there used to be a website there. For sure that was the URL I commonly used to advertise ApacheCon one year ago.

for example, blog posts. And this would result in our official blog
What official blog is this?  URL, please?

Limited to my own posts:
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/openoffice_track_at_apachecon_day
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_track_at_apachecon
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_track_at_apachecon1

If the domain has expired, we will now have to wait until it is released into
the public domain

.eu domains undergo a 40-days quarantine period (also serving as redemption period) and then are released to public, but from very recent experience with a couple of clients that had let their .eu domains in the hands of unreachable former consultants I can tell that spammers are unbeatable in grabbing the domain after the 40 days and turn it into a spam site before the legitimate owner can try to register it again. The only solution is that the domain owner redeems the domain during the 40 days.

Regards,
  Andrea.