Francis Tyers <fty...@prompsit.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> The problem with this is that there are so many different metadix
> formats that it will be impossible to come up with one that covers them
> all. For example if I remember correctly how the "alt" works is
> different in es-pt and in oc-es. I think it was decided that it was
> desirable to have them functioning differently, or at least would
> require substantial changes in either language pair to get a unified
> format -- changes that without some push (and let's face it, cash) are
> not going to get made.
>
> On the other hand, implementing compound words gives us the chance to
> strike while the iron is hot! We can make a (fairly innocuous change --
> any language pair that does not have compounding will be unaffected)
> before getting a plethora of different options and thus avoiding the
> metadix problem for another set of issues.
>
> Btw, thinking about metadix I have some probably unpopular ideas,
> thatwould preclude any standardisation. I think that maybe we should not
> have one format, but rather many _codified_ formats depending on the
> language(group). For example how to include a verb would be different in
> Tajik and Dutch, because different things are important. Unnecessary
> examples:
>
> <e lm="aanzitten"><par n="z/itten__vblex" prefix="aan"
> pp="aangezeten"/></e>
>
> Giving:

> n="gesproken__vblex_sep"/></e>
>
> Or in Tajik:

In the unification proposal from

http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Unification_of_metadix_and_parametrized_dictionaries#A_unifying_proposal

the calls would look like

<e lm="aanzitten"><par n="z/itten__vblex" prms="prefix='aan'
pp='aangezeten'"/></e>

and

Are there good reasons not to go with that kind of syntax?

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer