Kurt Roeckx <k...@roeckx.be> wrote:

> It seems none of the language data files claim any copyright or
> say under which license they are.

Well, some of them do, just check apertium-fin for example.

> There just seems to be a COPYING
> file in the same directory, which is useless without claiming the
> copyright and saying it's under that license.
>
> Could you please clarify the license?

I've seen this debate play out quite many times in quite many open
source communities, I think the end result will be along the lines that
legally just having COPYING file there is good enough to convey the
licence but we should add the blurb to every single file anyways because
it is a good thing and what GNU seems to suggest.

> PS: It would be great that data like this was not under the GPL
> but something more suited for ik like the CC-BY-SA.

I agree this re- or dual-licencing would be a good idea s well.

--
Flammie, computer scientist bachelor + linguist master = computational
linguist doctor, free software Finnish localiser,