> On Aug 16, 2023, at 13:37, David Conrad <d...@virtualized.org> wrote:
>
> Do you believe (say) an individual associate member that does not provide
> Internet service should have equal voting power related to IP address
> allocation policies as (say) China Telecom which provides Internet service to
> tens of millions of individuals and organizations or JPNIC, which provides
> addresses to hundreds if not thousands of ISPs in Japan?

Rephrasing & supporting what Dave is pointing out ….

APNIC’s system evolved to represent CONSTITUENTS of the Internet. That voting
system is NOT democratic. It is Republican with representatives of the
constituents of the country (like JPNIC) or the constituents of the direct
Internet service (like China Telecom).

In my mind, APNIC is NOT a ‘membership organization.’ It is a community of
peers who each represent constituents.

Remember, our RIR system is based on the principle of the Common Heritage of
Mankind. IP addresses are deemed a resource for humanity. People worked hard to
keep it OUT of the top down UN system (i.e. like the ITU and Telecom
Regulators) and put it into the RIR system …. That has a more direct
sensitivity to the constituent’s interest.

Today, I’m not part of a ‘constituent repressive organization’ in APNIC. But,
it I have an issue, I know how to express my views in a way that is aligned
with “consultative value systems” found through out the Asia Pacific region.

I’m looking forward to a return to that respectful consultation.