To Mo et al, on the subject of harvesting windfalls, from the cideries
perspective. At the period of time we are talking about ( big PYO sales
weekends) no one is sending "drops" to the cider mill because there is
plenty else to do. This is also a big volume time for the mill. In my view
mechanization is the only way forward. We have installed a water dump
inline to eliminate stones so this leaves the matter of rots. If a machine
was able to "keep up" percentage of rots would be kept low. Last year I
took the cider HAACP food safety training program and I discussed with the
instructor the use of fruit harvested with a "hedgehog" <
https://youtu.be/UD2A-JP85Lc >. He saw no problem as long as it was used
quickly. Now if you could scale up one of those do-hickies, you might have
something.
Evan ( at the mill )