Con,

My best wishes for your friend and colleague, and my thanks to those who previously responded to you, both for the information as you note, but also the effort that several made. As with an earlier discussion this year concerning allergens, I think all of our perceptions were broadened of the complications some of our fellow humans experience by merely eating or even encountering food.

I did want to add one possible resource. I suggest you visit the American Lung Association web site, which you should be able to locate via Google.

By coincidence, this past Monday, my spouse, Mary asked me to read through one of her final papers for her RN class while your email request was still current. (Mary happens to be taking her final for her RN at this very moment!)

Mary's paper concerned the ailment Cystic Fibrosis. Persons with CF are seriously compromised regarding immune system functioning, and all of the fungal risks, especially Aspergillus were cited in my wife's paper.

Some very excellent information on this subject was available, particularly contaminant and biological organism induced threats to immune-system compromised persons.

I hope this small contribution, along with those you have already received, are of help to you.

My best hopes for your friend.

Kevin Iungerman


Hello all,
I really would like to thank you most sincerely for your contributions. Between what I have learned from you all on list, and some off-list replies, it appears that there are at least six fungal organisms that rot apples, that can also cause pneumonia in immuno-compromised patients. In case anyone would like to know, the list includes Mucor, Pennicillium, Aspergillus, Alternaria, Fusarium and Cladosporium. There also appear to be many yeasts that live on leaves and fruits that can also invade the lungs of patients. I never cease to be amazed by the amount of information and knowledge that people on this list have at their disposal.
Again, many thanks,
Con Traas


--
Kevin Iungerman, Extension Associate
Cornell Northeastern NY Commercial Fruit Program
Serving NY's Upper Hudson and Champlain Region
(Albany, Saratoga, Washington, Essex and Clinton Counties)
Growing McIntosh, Honeycrisp, and other fine apples and fruit!
50 West High Street, Ballston Spa, NY 12020
Phone: (518) 885-8995
FAX: (518) 885-9078
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to