I am sorry about that sent one line. Me or my computer had a problem. As  
discussed our program is sulfur et. al. for fungicides and mating disruption,  
entrust and surround for insects. The two holes were fertilizer and  weed 
control. We found an organic fertilize and some weed control, however  the most 
important thing that has come out of this work for me is the use  of a much 
more 
reduced-risk program on all my other acres. IPM or IOPM or  whatever has been 
standard practice for many years. I use degree day models,  leaf wetness hours 
and all other available information to time spray  applications for maximum 
effect. I do not spray just to be spraying. Anyone who  believes that need only 
look at the cost of product to understand this approach.  Also I farm land 
that has been in my family for 5 or 6 generation and I  plan on leaving it to 
my 
grandchildren. I intend to do the best job as an  environmentalist as possible 
and still produce a marketable product. As for the  statement about trusting 
a local producer the same as a used car salesman I have  been growing apples 
and other produce for 26 years and hope to do so for 26  more. If I do not 
deliver a consistently good product then I won't  have the customers to sell my 
product to. I know I can deliver a much  better product to my local market be 
it 
apples, peaches, sweet corn or something  else because of the ability to 
harvest at the time of best flavor as opposed to  the time of best shelf-life. 
All 
products are held to some standard of safety in  the marketplace. The 
certification on the package is only as good as the person  who signed the 
form. I 
will always trust who and what I know when the other  choice is a complete 
unknown. 
 
Kenny Barnwell
Edneyville, North Carolina
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free 
email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at 
http://www.aol.com.

Reply via email to