Some apple varieties will produce and shed pollen earlier in the day when the
temperature rises above 85 or so, and the humidity is low. One thing to check
is early morning, when new blossoms open, before they have a chance to dehise.
I haven't done much with apples in many years, but used to a lot, and found
this to be true...but I don't recall the varieties. What led to this was a
grower saying our bees weren't doing their job...so we were out before dawn,
measuring flight activity when it began, and what trees it was on....just fyi.
And you are exactly correct on providing water as close to the bees as
reasonable. One caution...long ago it was customary to empty sprayers in
orchards when done spraying....although this isn't the norm, it can, if
practiced, be deadly if bees need, and don't have other water. Another fyi.

Kim Flottum
Editor, BeeCulture
623 West Liberty Street
Medina, Ohio  44256