  From: alan surprenant
  To: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 6:56 AM
  Subject: RE: Apple-Crop: Re: BEES & COLONY COLLAPSE DISORDER

  bees, bees, bees, so much on our minds these days.... and well they should
be (no pun intended).

  for those with the inclination and the time (perhaps a rainy day), a small
booklet i read many years ago has altered my whole relationship to the bees
in my orchard.  The Bee Lectures (1922?) given by Rudolf Steiner to a
gathering of beekeepers in germany. In these lectures Steiner predicts the
situation(s) we find ourselves in today with the bees.

  the questions raised by D. Del Boca are good ones and here are several
more raised by Steiner to the bee keepers of his day. (1) what are the
long-term effects of 'forcing' a spiral living entity into the square box
shape of the modern day hive? ever watch a swarm? or uncover a bee hive in a
tree trunk? watch how cells are created? all spirals. (2) what are the
effects of raising bees primarily for honey production (as related to
feeding, breeding queens, how we harvest honey, the use of miticides etc).
(3) if indeed our manipulation of the bee does result in lowering immunity,
what will the effects of that be? (i think of varoa and tracheal mites, of
hive collapse).

  i'm not trying to open up a debate on who's right and who's wrong about
the reasons our bees are in the state they are now. i'm trying to add to the
information and understanding that we all have to work with while dealing
with this situatiion. the health of the bees is of utmost importance, we all
know that already. what we can do as growers, researchers, and/or beekeepers
to help the bees,is for me, the important task at hand.

  thank you(this list serve)for the information on keeping water avaliable
and the effects temps have on pollination and bee activity.

  alan surprenant  brook farm orchard   ashfield, massachusetts