Hello everyone,
I have had a nasty recurrence of fireblight this year. I was trying to "cheat" the disease. There was no rain and no warm temperatures during bloom. Nevertheless, it snuck in on me probably from dew and moderate temperatures. I cannot believe the models. It is way too complicated to follow the models and pump in the facts especially during that busy season. Believe me, - I will never let this happen again. In the future I am going to inoculate the orchard with strep during pre-bloom, bloom and post-bloom period, no matter what the forecast is to be. My Dad said that when he had his orchard in Arkansas, - everyone had fireblight problems, - except him. He just went out and sprayed strep every week (or less). Now that is a warm, humid climate. He said that if he observed some strep toxicity (white mottling of the young leaves) he knew the trees were protected.

David Barclay
169 County Rd. East
Colts Neck, New Jersey 07722

Phone: 732-544-9035
Fax: 732-542-7855


---------------------------------------------------------------------------


The 'Apple-Crop' LISTSERV is sponsored by the Virtual Orchard <http://www.virtualorchard.net> and managed by Win Cowgill and Jon Clements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Apple-Crop is not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not represent "official" opinions and the Virtual Orchard takes no responsibility for the content.





Reply via email to