Hi Pat and All:

When I was running orchards in PA I used an integrated approach to mouse control. We had good but not perfect weed control under the trees, we mowed fairly close all summer and especially the last one in the fall. We then used metal barrel lids as bait stations. They were placed about every 25 feet in the row. I always felt that the barrel lids provided a protected place for the mice to congregate. We then placed the bait under the lids with one edge of the lid raised so that the bait didn't mold. This system may have been overkill but in rootstock trials every tree was valuable.

I tried to attract kestrels by placing boxes around the orchard but I was never successful in doing that.

Pat, I'm wondering if Rozol was the bait you were referring to. I googled Rozol and came up with: http://www.volecontrol.com/

Best regards to all, George Greene



Thanks to all for the comments regarding mouse bait. I have tried using zinc phosfide, but the little rascals won't touch the stuff.   TomCat seemed to work, but I sure had to feed them a lot of the stuff to do the trick. A bait named "Hawk" seemed to do better. . . less bait and better knockdown of the mouse/vole population in my orchard.   The bait, by the way, was placed in PVC tees throughout the orchard on or near established runways.

As I recall from past postings, someone had a real good anti-coagulant by a name I hadn't heard of. That's the one I'm looking for. It may have been Ramik Brown as suggested by William Fleming. There were several days of postings a few months ago regarding the bait, but I neglected to write down the name of the stuff that was being discussed.

Thanks for all the inputs/suggestions.

Pat Curran
Curran's Orchard
Rockford, IL



On Nov 9, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Fleming, William wrote:

 Ramik Brown has been my method of attack on orchard voles fro many
years. Along with clean rows it has been highly successful. More info>
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=00239300512&DIST_
NR=002393


Bill Fleming
Montana State University
Western Ag Research Center
580 Quast Ln
Corvallis, MT 59828


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of patrick d. curran
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:05 PM
To: Apple-Crop
Subject: Apple-Crop: Mouse Bait


There was a discussion some time ago regarding mouse bait for use in the
orchard.  As I recall, it was a bait that was supposedly very effective.
Does anyone recall that subject? . . . if so, what is the name of the
stuff, who makes it, & where can I buy it?  I've been using an
anti-coagulant  called "Tom Cat" and it just doesn't seem to be very
effective.

Pat Curran
Curran's Orchard
Rockford, IL



------------------------------------------------------------------------
---


The 'Apple-Crop' LISTSERV is sponsored by the Virtual Orchard
<http://www.virtualorchard.net> and managed by Win Cowgill and Jon
Clements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Apple-Crop is not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not represent
"official" opinions and the Virtual Orchard takes no responsibility for
the content.







---------------------------------------------------------------------------


The 'Apple-Crop' LISTSERV is sponsored by the Virtual Orchard
<http://www.virtualorchard.net> and managed by Win Cowgill and Jon
Clements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Apple-Crop is not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not represent
"official" opinions and the Virtual Orchard takes no responsibility for
the content.







---------------------------------------------------------------------------


The 'Apple-Crop' LISTSERV is sponsored by the Virtual Orchard<http://www.virtualorchard.net> and managed by Win Cowgill and JonClements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Apple-Crop is not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not represent"official" opinions and the Virtual Orchard takes no responsibility forthe content.


--
George M. Greene II
68 Willow Lane
Wiscasset, ME 04578
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
207-882-8074     



---------------------------------------------------------------------------


The 'Apple-Crop' LISTSERV is sponsored by the Virtual Orchard
<http://www.virtualorchard.net> and managed by Win Cowgill and Jon
Clements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Apple-Crop is not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not represent
"official" opinions and the Virtual Orchard takes no responsibility for
the content.





Reply via email to