Axel,

I am sure Dave's intent was not to threaten you, only help make us all aware of
the requirements of federal law as it pertains to commercial apple growing.
We, as professional growers, have an obligation to abide by federal law just as
a physician has an obligation to abide by the Hippocratic oath.  Yes, we do
take our selves very seriously...well, except in the case of
leprechauns....because we have to.  Right now in Illinois, we are facing a near
epidemic with fire blight, which can wipe out a commercial orchard in a matter
of weeks.  But we can use only properly labeled products to control fire blight
and can only apply those products with the proper certification.

In light of our discussion on Fire Blight, we have been able to control an
outbreak we had here at Royal Oak Farm back in 2007.  We had almost 1,000 trees
in a block of 5,000 trees hit by Fire Blight and it took 6 employees 3 days
working 10 hours per day to cut it all out.  We did not sterilize our chain
saws, saws-alls, loppers or pruning shears.  In 2008 we sprayed our usual
copper at the maximum rate, then at bloom we did our normal orchard wide strep
spray at maximum rate followed 5 days later with a Mychoshield spray at maximum
rate only in the affected block based on a bloom period of just over 12 days.
We then applied Apogee following the standard rate to control growth.

This season we followed the same protocol with the dormant copper spray at
maximum rate, Strep spray at maximum rate, but since we had an very extended
bloom period of almost 3 weeks, we did an additional strep spray orchard wide
and the Mychoshield spray only in the block affected by fire Blight in 2007.
We have had minimal fire blight this season and have cut out what we have seen
immediately after spotting it.  Each morning we have an employee drive through
each row of our tree rows and prune out any fire blight he sees.  So far we
have not had any significant branch loss, only minor stem loss.

Where we think we failed in 2007 was not doing the second strep spray during
bloom.  We grow varieties that range from Pristine through Granny Smith so we
can see somewhat of an extended bloom period in terms of the range of trees we
grow.  If lower spring temperatures are added to that, we can see a very
extended period as we did this past spring, which happened to be the wettest on
record.  I won't even bring scab up in this post!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174